Just after the hard work on Message Counter was completed and the app was released
to the public, I have taken up another major app rewriting task. This time it’s LibAeApps.
September marks a Major milestone for a hobby Android app. What started as a proof of concept back in 2013 has now reached Version 4
and close to a total of 1,00,000 downloads.
The latest release of Android Messages app from Google had just hit the playstore featuring Material Theme. I was able to trace back
the internal codenames of the app.
With Version 4.0 of Message Counter around the corner, lets take a look at the history of the icons for the app.
Message Counter was using a background service to start an SMS Content Observer. While upgrading the app to target
the latest Android API, it appeared that the service was killed after around 1 minute of the application went to the background.
This proved challenging for the app’s functionality until further research led to…
Ever since Google made Kotlin the official language of Android, I had tried to look at it. As usual I tried it out as part of RandomContact app
and just used a few simple features and found it to be consice and powerful. So when I wanted to rewrie MessageCounter app to make use of Android
Architecture Components, I decided to jump all in and rewrite the entire app in Kotlin. Below are few snippets that I came across and liked a lot.